Saturday, June 02, 2012

What a day for a parade in Egypt

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/ FROM KEITH GROLLER n appreciation for some of the advance publicity I did on the Curt Simmons Day celebration in Egypt, event organizers invited me to sit in one of the cars during the parade. Figuring I am best suited to Halloween parades, with or without the mask, i didn't accept af first. But wondering if I'd ever get such an invite again, I reluctantly accepted when I heard I would be in the same car as the legendary Bobby Shantz and Freddie Schmidt, the oldest living former Phillies and Cardinals player What a great experience! I thought some people would throw some verbal jabs or worse, my way, but instead I got a lot of hearty waves and a few nice comments. I've told this story many times that I root for the Cardinals my entire life because my famiily loved Curt Simmons (my grandfather is from Coplay) and when I was a little guy they bought me all kinds of Cardinals stuff because Simmons pitched for the Redbirds at the time. The rest is history. Simmons may have left the Cardinals, but I never did, so you can only imagine my emotions today as I watched this whole thing unfold for someone who is so important to my family and who -- whether he knows it or not -- played such an important role in my life.

No comments: