Friday, June 15, 2012

PIAA Softball: Ending to Big Spring's season not for the faint of heart

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/-429207737673116364/piaa-softball-ending-to-big-springs-season-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/ FROM PENNLIVE STATE COLLEGE — Big Spring's first state championship in school history came jam-packed with excitement, but the bottom of the seventh was not for the faint of heart. Ashley Baker's quick toss to Taylor Mansfield for the final out was a fitting conclusion to what had been a wild season for Steve Calaman and the Bulldogs. "It bounced our way again today. I like to believe there is a reward for hard work. It just seems like the entire season has gone our way. I don't think too many people gave us much of a chance but I believed in these girls and they got it done," Calaman said. After walking the first batter, Pastor moved to first and first baseman Taylor Mansfield came in for the save. Mansfield walked the first batter she faced giving the Cougars runners on first and second with none out. Ninth place hitter Emma Thomson attempted to lay down a bunt to move the runners over but Pastor charged in from first and made a heroic diving catch. Mansfield forced a pop out for the second out before walking Casey Pearce to load the bases for Molly Ann Mecca. Mecca doubled in the first and flew out to the warning track in the fourth so her power was evident. The home plate umpire hesitated before making the call for the final out, making the scene even more dramatic. "I was really nervous so I wasn't throwing my best," Mansfield said. "I went crazy and was jumping up and down. I knew we could do it. It feels great; I know I'll remember this forever."

No comments: