Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Hines Ward is on his way to a title -- on "Dancing With The Stars"

FROM KEITH GROLLER

I wonder if Hines Ward has made one of Groller's Corner's all-time most commented upon commenters, the one and only "PItt6Rings," become a "Dancing With The Stars" fan.

If so, he has a chance to see another Steeler championship because Hines Ward is as good as anybody in this season's competition on the ABC show and with the Steeler Nation backing Ward, I see him outlasting Ralph "Karate Kid" Macchio and former Cheers star Kirstie Alley for the mirrored-ball trophy.

In fact, I am sure Steeler fans got all excited just to see Ward and dance partner Kym Johnson wearing black and gold on this week's show.

They were even twirling those yellow "Terrible Towels" that annoy everybody who doesn't root for the Steelers.'

Ward, who isn't as tall as I thought he would be, comes across as a real soft-spoken, nice and likeable guy. Very different from Ochocinco and some of the other divas who pose as wide receivers in the NFL.

NFL players always seem to be do well on this show. Emmitt Smith is a past champ. Jerry Rice nearly won it, too, and even Kurt Warner lasted longer than expected.

They have a built-in fan base to give them the votes needed to stay on each week. But many of the pro football players have deserved to stick around on their own merits. Ward (seen in photo below as the first one from the left in back row) may be the best of them all.

Cast

I admit, I watch it. Look forward to it. I also admit that I watch the girls, especially the professional dancers, a bit more closely than their male partners.

I found Monday night's show much more entertaining than that dreadful NCAA men's basketball championship game.

I am still despondent over the apparent departure of my DWTS all-time favorite, the beautiful Edyta Sliwinska, and would start a campaign to bring her back to the show had I more time.Edyta3 Edyta (in photo at left) may be gone, but has definitely not been forgotten.

Speaking of beauties, Kendra Wilkinson, the former Playboy model and stripper who is now married to Eagles receiver Hank Baskett, is also on this season's show. For some reason, she just doesn't appeal to me as much as I thought she would.

But she recently tweeted: "yummmm philly cheese steaks for dinner!" so maybe there's more substance there than meets the eye.

Boxer Sugar Ray Leonard is also in this cast, but I don't see him lasting into the later rounds. Famous ring announcer Michael Buffer was on the show to give him his intro on Monday, but the whole boxing schtick is getting old in a hurry, as is Sugar Ray.

I know this is a busy time of year for the sports fan with baseball starting and the NBA and NHL playoffs about to begin.

However, with nothing happening on the NFL labor front, "Dancing With The Stars" may be the only place to catch an NFL star competing for anything for some time to come.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2011/04/hines-ward-is-on-his-way-to-a-title-on-dancing-with-the-stars.html#tp

No comments: