Thursday, October 06, 2011

It's still sunny in Philadelphia, and squirrel-free, too

FROM KEITH GROLLER

The callers on local sports-talk radio may paint a gloomy picture, but it's absolutely gorgeous here in Philadelphia on Thursday afternoon as the Phillies go through workouts (see below) for tomorrow night's Game 5 of the NLDS.

In this glorious five-year run of Phillies postseason baseball, this is the first time the team is in a winner-take-all situation or at least a winner-move-on deal.Phillies 003 All previous series did not go the limit as this one has.

The Phillies are a loose bunch according to manager Charlie Manuel, who was in storytelling mode during the workout day press conference here at Citizens Bank Park.

"We're in a very good mood," he said. "The guys got there early this morning. When I got there I always talk to them and BS a little bit with them and walk around and kind of get vibes on what they're thinking and where they're at, and we're ready to go. I see everything in a positive way.

"We're going to go out there and play our game, have a lot of fun. We've earned a right to get here and this is the biggest game we're going to play, and things are going to work out for us."

But Manuel also said how you feel sometimes doesn't translate to results.

"I remember one time I was in Detroit and [then Twins manager Billy Martin] told me that if I hit a ball over the roof today in BP, he'd start me in a game," Manuel said. "I hit seven in a row over the roof. I got in the game. I went 0-for-4 and struck out three times and popped up to the catcher once. I'm just using that as an example.

"That's what makes baseball so beautiful. The same pitcher can get you out today, but that same pitcher can pitch tomorrow and he might not get nobody out. Now if you can explain that to me, I'll be glad to listen."

When asked about the squirrel that made an appearance in St. Louis on both Tuesday and Wednesday, Manuel said:

"I've seen a lot of squirrels in different ballparks besides St. Louis, but the squirrel over there was a little bit different," Manuel said. "There is a country western song about a squirrel, like getting in this church on a Sunday and that's kind of funny. I'm trying to think about it -- Mike Stevens sings it, sure does. Same guy that sang "The Streak" and all those songs."

Manuel was actually referring to Ray Stevens, who had a song called: "The Mississippi Squirrel Revival."

Forget country music. If the Phillies lose this one, there will be plenty in this region signing a different song and drowning themselves in beer (see the cases lined up on the concouse level) tomorrow night..

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: