Saturday, October 01, 2011

Friday Night Flashback: Liberty can pass, and go

FROM KEITH GROLLER

There were so many big plays in the Liberty-Parkland game I covered on Friday night.

In an era where offenses are king, the Hurricanes and Trojans didn't disappoint.

I heard all about Liberty's running game and the 'Canes didn't disappoint on the ground.

But I heard, even from the team's longtime stat man Jay Schuler, that Liberty can't pass.

“If we complete one pass tonight, the game's all over, we'll win,” Schuler said.

Well, Liberty completed four -- and two went for touchdowns.

What impressed me was the pass-catching ability of K.J. Williams, a talented sophomore, caught three passes for 63 yards and one touchdown.

I've been hearing about him from Central Catholic assistant basketball coach Toomey Anderson, who knows the talents of just about every area athlete. Toomey has been telling me this kid has great football potential and you saw some of that potential realized on Friday night, especially on his TD catch.

I have now seen most of the LVC's elite in person, and the rest on television and I really don't think there's much difference from No. 1 to No. 8 in this league.

I do know that Parkland, as kind as they always are to me, doesn't want me covering them anytime soon.

The Trojans are now 0-2 when I am in Orefield and this seems to be a star-crossed team that looks so good at certain moments, and then seems to fall apart the next.

Elsewhere on Friday night:

CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR -- I thought Palisades would beat Palmerton. No one else did. Well, everybody was right, and I was wrong, but the Pirates came darn close in a 7-6 loss in Carbon County. PATs can definitely be a four-letter word sometimes, especially missed PATs.

K-KIDS RESURFACE -- It has been a tough year for Northampton coach Bob Steckel, and some -- me included -- thought Allen could hang with his team. But the K-Kids showed some much-needed life in rolling out to a 52-0 lead before Allen got a couple of late scores in a 52-12 final. Until Friday night, I thought Catty would be the favorite over Northampton on Thanksgiving morning. Now, I am not so sure.

STROUDSBURG IS LEGIT -- I know there's generally a lack of respect for the Mountain Valley Conference here in the Lehigh Valley, and frankly, until the MVC wins in big spots they won't get any respect. But I believe Stroudsburg is a legitimate, quality team that could win its share of games in the LVC this year. The Mounties were embarrassed by losing to Pocono Mountain East and wanted to make a statement. They may not have gotten any LVC team's attention with their 59-19 win over East Stroudsburg South, but they got mine. Stroudsburg won't win the District 11 4A title, but I don't think anyone will mercy-rule the Mounties either.

AT THESE CARDINALS CAN WIN -- Pocono Mountain East also has a shot at qualifying for the District 11 4A field. The Cardinals can score. That must have been an entertaining game in Lehighton on Friday night.

BEST PICK -- Pleasant Valley 28-13 over Tamaqua. Actual final score, Pleasant Valley 28-14.

WORST PICK -- Panther Valley 20-12 over Schuylkill Haven. Actual final score, Haven 16-6.

WISH I COULD SEE THIS ONE -- I will be in Philly tonight for the NLDS opener. If I could see anything else today, it would be the Nazareth-Central Catholic game at J. Birney Crum Stadium. This one could break the 100-point mark. I wish Service Electric (my cable company at home) had this one, becauseI'd definitely have the DVR going and would watch this one after I got back from Philly. But you also know that I am a big believer in fans getting out to the games in person, so maybe SECTV not doing this one will encourage more folks to go out and see it live.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: