Thursday, September 15, 2011

Persa still waiting for his return to Northwestern lineup

FROM KEITH GROLLER

Blue Mountain League Hall of Famer Ted Long, who runs bus trips to virtually anywhere sports-related and even to non-sports related venues such as Broadway, is running a bus trip Saturday to the Army-Northwestern game at West Point.

I am sure that many Lehigh Valley residents signed up for that trip hoping to see Liberty graduate Dan Persa play quarterback for the Wildcats.

That's an iffy situation right now according to various reports. Persa has yet to play this season coming off his torn Achilles tendon.

According to Brian Bennett, who does the Big Ten blog for ESPN.com, Persa would like to play against Army, but the more likely date for his return is Oct. 1 against Illinois.

After Army, Northwestern has a bye.

"I think I'll be 100 percent ready by Illinois," Persa told reporters on Tuesday.

"I kind of feel like I'm ready to play; it's just them telling me not to," he said. "I understand why they're trying to be safe about it. In the long run, I'd rather miss two or three games then play two and then miss the season."

Kain Colter has played very well at quarterback in Persa's absence.

Northwestern beat Boston College 24-17 on Chestnut Hill in its opener and routed Eastern Illinois 42-21 last week.

Colter, a sophomore, has rushed for 180 yards and four touchdowns on 38 carries, emerging as the top rusher on the team. He has completed 27 of 37 passes for 301 yards with one intercpetion.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: