Friday, September 23, 2011

Week 4 high school picks: Can the hot streak continue?

FROM KEITH GROLLER

I don't know if the games were just easy to pick, or I got lucky last week. But I had one of my best weeks ever with the high school predictions, going 19-3. Missed only Marian over Mahanoy Area, Honesdale over ES North, and of course, Parkland over Emmaus which was the thriller I saw in person.

The 19-3 brings me to 54-16 on the season (77.1 percent). That's still a C-minus where my kid goes to school. Not nearly good enough.

I'd like to stay as hot as the Nazareth offense, but the games get much tougher this week and hey, even the Phillies are in a slump so some rough patches are going to happen to even the best.

As for my personal top 10:

1. Nazareth

2. Whitehall

3. Liberty

4. Freedom

5. Easton

6. Central Catholic

7. Stroudsburg

8. Parkland

9. Pen Argyl

10. Northern Lehigh

Yes, I know Emmaus beat Parkland last week in that entertaining, but sloppy game, CHEK, and if the poll was extended I'd have the Green Hornets at No. 11. But I still believe that in the long run the Trojans have the slightly better team and are headed for a more successful season. We'll see.

By the way, no one has to be on the lookout for me tonight. I am introducing my friend, Sally Whittaker-Kahan, the former Parkland standout and Northampton softball coach, as one of the new inductees into the DeSales Hall of Fame in Center Valley. It was nice of Sally to ask me to the dinner to introduce her on her big night.

So, I will miss the action in person, but will probably watch what I can on TV after I get back from the banquet.

Now on to the Week 4 picks:

FRIDAY NIGHT

Nazareth (A lot), Allen 6 ... You know the deal here. I am off my crusade to "Stop the Madness" after having a good discussion with acting superintendent Russ Mayo on Thursday morning. I am pretty sure he gets it and will take the necessary steps to stop the madness of scores like 73-0 and 76-0. Again, hearts out to the kids and coaches who continue to try. But if 149-0 didn't get everyone's attention last week and make it absolutely clear that Allen and Dieruff DO NOT belong in the Lehigh Valley Conference in football, nothing will. The Weave is going with his Blue Eagles 55-14, by the way.

Becahi (A lot, but not as much as Nazareth), Dieruff 7 ... Read above.

Freedom 35, Emmaus 20 ... Green Hornets showed me a lot of heart the last two weeks against Whitehall and Parkland and maybe rain and a slow track tonight in Emmaus will help reduce Freedom's speed advantage. But the Pates simply have too much offensive firepower.

Parkland 21, Easton 20 ... What a great one this should be. I imagine it was a pretty intense week of practice at Parkland this week after all of the mistakes the Trojans made a week ago. I highly doubt any snaps will go over anybody's head tonight. No one had more success against Easton than Liberty in recent years and my guess is that new Parkland defensive coordinator Sam Senneca has a good idea of how to at least slow down the Red Rovers.

Whitehall 35, Liberty 28 ... Another absolute dandy. Another one that could come down to who has the ball last. I just give the edge to Whitehall's experienced O-line and crafty quarterback Nick Shafnisky.

Central Catholic 56, Northampton 14 ... Vikings found their stride, and a defense, last week against Becahi. This is the old Susquehanna Bowl with former teammates and good friends Bob Steckel and Harold Fairclough going head-to-head. Fairclough definitely won't want to run it up on Northampton, but a lopsided score is going to happen anyway.

Bangor 34, Notre Dame 13 ... Better times in basketball are just around the corner for the Crusaders.

Northwestern 28, Southern Lehigh 21 ... The Spartans will still win their last five games, finish regular season 6-4 and qualify for the District 11 3A playoffs. Someone told me that Kate Miller, the wife of baseball coach Todd Miller, has either been hired, or is going to be hired as the new athletic director at Southern Lehigh. It already has caused a bit of an uproar at Southern Lehigh especially with the football program. Rather than the small ripple of a flat stone skimming a pond, someone described it to me as "a meteor hitting a lake." I don't know about all of that. I don't know Mrs. Miller. I just know some people are upset. Real upset. I just hate to see Don Harakal go.

Northern Lehigh 33, Palisades 7 ... Getting closer to the Colonial's game of the year, Oct. 8: Bulldogs at Green Knights.

Catasauqua 27, Salisbury 7 ... Roughies are 3-0 but have yet to beat a team that has beaten anyone else.

Saucon Valley 21, Palmerton 19 ... I might get up to see Ed Hedes, John Hrebik and Co. at a Blue Bomber basketball game or two this winter; as long as snow is not in the forecast. That hill to the school can be problematic in January. As for this game, I just can't believe the Panthers will fall to 0-4.

Pleasant Valley 40, Lehighton 20 ... Wrote about the Indians today and they have done a nice job so far. But the Bears and Getz have too much offense.

ES South 33, Pocono Mt. West 14 ... The Cavaliers are back in their comfort zone in the MvC.

Stroudsburg 42, Pocono Mt. East 21 ... Mounties are almost a lock for the District 11 4A field.

Crestwood 63, ES North 13 .. ES North allowed 42 points against Honesdale, a team that has yet to win a game. Crestwood is undefeated.

Panther Valley 28, Jim Thorpe 21 .. Battle of the 0-3s. Hope my friends at Kelly's Irish Pub are doing well. I do hope to get back, maybe bring the wife next time.

Mahanoy Area 26, Tamaqua 13 ... Got burned by picking against the Golden Bears last week. It's not happening again.

Downingtown West 33, Quakertown 20 ... A District One battle of 3-0s. Edge to a Downingtown ground game that averages more than 300 yards per game.

SATURDAY

Pen Argyl 48, Wilson 14 ... I think Tim Moncman can't wait to get back to the LVC.

Pius X 56, Marian Catholic 27 ... The career numbers of Pius X quarterback Ace Long are going to be staggering by the time he's finished.

There you go ... 20 games, 20 shots in the dark.

Stay dry.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: