Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Former Becahi star signs with the Steelhawks, who release 2013 schedule

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/ FROM KEITH GROLLER Former Bethlehem Catholic quarterback Adam Bednarik will resume his football career with the Lehigh Valley Steelhawks professional indoor team. At a Wednesday ceremony at the Comfort Suites across from Dorney Park to announce the 2013 schedule, Bednarik said he's excited to get back in uniform. "I'm excited; it's an opportunity I couldn't pass up," said Bednarik, the former Golden Hawks and West Virginia University standout. "I had some unlucky injury things happen to me in college, which set me back, especially with my shoulder. I didn't get to where I wanted, necessarily, professionally because of my shoulder. "After college, I played one year of pro arena ball in Albany, and I have been back here ever since. Once I saw that they began the Steelhawks, I started to get the itch to play again. What better opportunity than to be back home, play professional football for a great organization and be able to do it front of family and friends again, just like back in high school." Bednarik, who works in the special education department of the Bethlehem Area School District, graduated from Becahi in 2003 and from West Virginia in 2008. He is currently the quarterbacks coach for Freedom. "I wouldn't say I am in the best shape, but by the time the season rolls around, I will be," Bednarik said. "In practice, being around the the kids, sometimes I still feel like I am one of them. I love to throw the football around and some of the kids told me that I should go back out and play again. They tell me I still got it. It's been gnawing me a little bit, so I thought 'Why not?' Like I said, it will be fun to play again here in the Valley where it all started for me." The Steelhawks, who will be starting their third season at Stabler Arena (March 17 is the first game) and their first as members of the Professional Indoor Football League, are looking to strengthen local ties. Former Central Catholic and Lehigh standout Matt Cohen has been added to the Steelhawks coaching staff as an assistant. Cohen is presently an assistant at Bethlehem Catholic. "A lot of exciting stuff is going on and we're making makes steps to move forward," said Steelhawks coach and assistant GM Chris Thompson. "Adam is one heck of a quarterback. I know he played 17 games in Arena Football 2 with the Albany Firebirds and he's got a lot of experience with the indoor game. That's one of the reasons we brought him in here, plus he's got those local ties, which are also so important to us. We want our fans to be able to relate to local people. We're excited to have him." Here's the Steelhawks schedule: Week 1 – Fri. 3/8 Lehigh Valley @ Alabama 8:00pm Week 2 – Sun. 3/17 Lehigh Valley vs. Knoxville 4:00pm Week 3 – Sat. 3/23 Lehigh Valley @ Louisiana 8:00pm Week 4 – Sat. 3/30 Lehigh Valley @ Charlotte 7:00pm Week 5 – BYE Week 6 – Sat. 4/13 Lehigh Valley @ Richmond 7:00pm Week 7 – Sat. 4/20 Lehigh Valley vs. Alabama 7:00pm Week 8 – Sat. 4/27 Lehigh Valley vs. Richmond 7:00pm Week 9 – Sun. 5/5 Lehigh Valley vs. Columbus 4:00pm Week 10 – Sat. 5/11 Lehigh Valley @ Knoxville 7:00pm Week 11 – Sat. 5/18 Lehigh Valley vs. Albany 7:00pm Week 12 – Sat. 5/25 Lehigh Valley vs. Charlotte 7pm Week 13 – BYE Week 14 – BYE Week 15 – Sat. 6/15 Lehigh Valley @ Albany 7:30pm

No comments: