Sunday, October 09, 2011

NFL picks Week 5: It's gonna be a great day; Rams aren't playing

FROM KEITH GROLLER

Well, I finally feel rested.

If you've been following along, you know it has been an exhausting, and yet an exhilarating weekend for yours truly.

In Philly until 1:30 Friday night/Saturday morning.

Home around 3. To bed around 4:30. Up at 8.

Radio show at 9. Leave for Bucknell at 10:45. Get to Bucknell (thanks to horrible I-80 traffic jam) at 1:45.

Leave Bucknell at 6. Home from Bucknell after gas/food stops at 9.

Sleeping like a baby at 10 (never even bothered with end of ALCS Game 1 or Nebraska/Ohio State on TV).

So, now it's Sunday morning and I feel pretty good. Still tired, but not in desperate need of Red Bull or Starbucks coffee like I was on Saturday.

Someone on here, The Observer I believe, took a shot at my picks the other night sayng that I don't even know my own team. Yes, I picked against the Cardinals in the NLCS, and thought they'd lose 7-1 in Game 5.

There's a method behind my madness. It's called reverse psychology.

If you notice, I pick against my Rams, too, every week. But reverse psychology doesn't work for the Rams. Nothing works. I pick them to lose big, and they lose big. They stink.

So, I will enjoy this NFL weekend more than the previous four because I don't have to wince when either I watch the Rams play or see their score flash on the screen.

The problem is, they were automatic correct picks for me. I am 4-0 in Rams games, but when under .500 in games not involving the Rams. So in that sense, and in that sense only, I will miss the Rams not playing today.

Last week, I was 12-4 outright, 7-9 vs. the spread, 10-5-1 on the over/under totals.

For the year, I am 41-21 outright, 30-31-1 against the spread, 33-27-2 on the totals.

HOME TEAMS IN CAPS

Tennessee (+3) 27, PITTSBURGH 20 -- Over the 39.5 -- Matt Hasselbeck is looking good. Even better than his sister-in-law Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Well, in a football sense.

Oakland (+6) 24, Houston 21 -- Under the 48.5 -- Raiders win one for Al.

New Orleans (-6.5) 27, CAROLINA 23 -- Under the 51.5 -- Still not sold on the Saints, especially their defense.

NEW YORK GIANTS (-10) 23, Seattle 17 -- Under the 43 -- G-men wish they could NFC West teams every week.

Philadelphia (-2.5) 38, BUFFALO 17 -- Over the 49.5 -- Eagles now have the spotlight to themselves and they provide comfort to an ailing city still recovering from Black Friday II.

JACKSONVILLE (-2.5) 20, Cincinnati 13 -- Under the 37 -- Only Vegas, Jax and Cincy people will be watching this one.

Arizona (+2.5) 23, MINNESOTA 20 -- Under the 45 -- Turns out all of the people bashing Donovan McNabb over the years were kinda right. Not that Kevin Kolb is much better.

Kansas City (+2.5) 24, INDY COLTS 21 -- Over the 38.5 -- Todd Haley vs. Matt Cassel on the sidelines is more interesting than anything happening on the field in this one.

SAN FRANCISCO (-3) 16, Tampa Bay 14 -- Under the 41.5 -- Is it just me, or can Jim Harbaugh get under your skin?

NEW ENGLAND (-9) 24, New York Jets 20 -- Under the 49 -- Instead of an ALCS to heighten animosities between Beantown and NYC, they have to settle for Mr. Brady vs. Rex.

San Diego (-4) 24, DENVER 17 -- Under the 46 -- Still don't believe in the Chargers.

SUNDAY NIGHT

GREEN BAY (-6) 34, Atlanta 31 -- Over the 53.5 -- NBC gets all of the good ones.

MONDAY NIGHT

Chicago (+5.5) 27, DETROIT 19 -- Under the 47.5 -- What's the world coming to? No "Rowdy Friends" on Monday night, but the Lions? Lions won't have Tony Romo to help them out this week, although Jay Cutler may try.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2011/10/nfl-picks-week-5-its-gonna-be-a-great-day-rams-arent-playing.html

No comments: