Sunday, October 02, 2011

NFL Picks 4: Nothing but the blues for St. Louis

FROM KEITH GROLLER

After a night in Philly, baseball is on the brain right now.

Look, everybody knows I am a Cardinals fan. It's obvious by looking at the top of this blog.

But I am also a realist.

And the reality is harsh. There was a candidate for governor of New York state last year who was representing the "The Rent is Too Damn High" party.

Well, my party line right now is simply: "The Phillies are just too damn good."

I mean that. They are going to win this series with St. Louis in three games; absolutely no more than four.

Even as the Cardinals made this great surge, coinciding with the Braves collapse, to make the playoffs, my enthusiasm was tempered by the fact that I knew they would get the Phillies in the first round as a reward.

The first five innings on Saturday night were just a tease. I was actually thinking, "Maybe they can steal one here and make it a series."

And then, boom, boom, boom and it's 11-3.

About the best news of the night came in the media room when I asked St.Louis Post-Dispatch veteran Rick Hummel, who I've been reading for a long time: "Do you think Albert is coming back?"

Hummel believes so.

We'll see.

I had more questions for him like if he thought the Rams would ever win a game this season, but I didn't want to bother him with trivial matters.

Now, it's on to Week 4 with my NFL picks (for my amusement only). I am the epitome of mediocrity. Some would say "epitome of mediocrity" sums up my entire career.

Last week I was 9-7 outright, 8-8 against the spread and 7-9 on the over/under totals.

For the season, I am 29-17 outright, 23-22-1 against the spread, 23-22-1 on the totals.

Maybe I should get advice from Clay Flyte of Pen Argyl who was our Week 5 winner in the Groller-Zambelli Challenge. Congrats to Clay and all of the Green Knights who look golden at the moment and may very well be our best bet to get to Hershey to compete for a PIAA state championship.

Here we go with the picks:

HOME TEAMS IN CAPS

Detroit (+3) 31, DALLAS 20 -- Over the 46.5 -- When I think of these two teams I think Thanksgiving, but this year Detroit won't be such a hospitable Turkey Day host.

New Orleans (-7) 27, JACKSONVILLE 16 -- Under the 45 -- The Saints are fun to watch on offense.

PHILADELPHIA (-8.5) 34, San Francisco 13 -- Over the 44.5 -- I actually hope the Eagles put this one away early so fans will start leaving and the traffic will be minimal when I get down to South Philly around 5. If the Eagles somehow lose, there could be a lot of traffic on the bridges with folks ready to jump.

Washington (-1.5) 23, ST. LOUIS 17 -- Under the 43.5 -- My son and I had a helicopter ride over St. Louis when we visited the city in August and the guide pointed over at the Edwards Jones Dome and said: "That's where the Rams TRY to play football." Well, these continue to be very "trying" times for St. Louis football fans. It's like it's 2009 all over again.

CLEVELAND (-1.5) 21, Tennessee 16 -- Under the 38.5 -- Maybe Pat Shurmur wasn't the Rams problem last year after all, but I still don't want him back.

Buffalo (-3) 31, CINCINNATI 21 -- Over the 43 -- But I wouldn't mind having Ryan Fitzpatrick come back to the Rams.

Minnesota (1.5) 23, KANSAS CITY 12 -- Under the 40 -- This matchup reminds me of Super Bowl IV, but there will not be much "Matriculating the ball down the field" at Arrowhead today.

CHICAGO (-6.5) 31, Carolina 14 -- Over the 42.5 -- Mike Martz is welcome back in St Louis, too, but only as offensive coordinator.

HOUSTON (-4) 30, Pittsburgh 20 -- Over the 45 -- I bet these two cities didn't even realize the baseball's regular season has ended.

Atlanta (-4.5) 21, Seattle 14 -- Under the 39 -- Still don't think the Falcons are that good, but no one is good in the NFC West.

New York Giants (-1.5) 31, ARIZONA 21 -- Over the 44.5 -- A good day is not in the cards for these Cards either.

GREEN BAY (-12.5) 28, Denver 17 -- Under the 46.5 -- Another past Super Bowl matchup. Funny, the NFL seems to be surviving just fine without Mr. Favre around.

New England (-4.5) 31, OAKLAND 21 -- Under the 55 -- No Super Bowl replay here, but "The Tuck Rule Game" will be mentioned once or twice today. No snow this time, just a flurry of Brady TD passes.

SAN DIEGO (-7) 23, Miami 20 -- Under the 45 -- Trying the Dolphins one more time for at least a cover. Still think the Chargers are overrated -- again.

SUNDAY NIGHT

BALTIMORE (-3.5) 23, New York Jets 17 -- Under the 42 -- The viewership for this one will quadruple the numbers for Phillies-Cardinals everywhere, except in Philly, of course.

MONDAY NIGHT

TAMPA BAY (-10) 34, Indianapolis 13 -- Over the 40.5 -- Hope the Tampa people support this team more than they support the Rays, who I still think will make the ALCS and get the Yankees who might want to use Mariano to finish off a game this time.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: