Sunday, October 02, 2011

Nazareth football team pulls off another late comeback to beat Central Catholic

FROM TOM HINKEL

Will Nazareth Area High School's football team ever run out of miracles?

The Blue Eagles continued to defy the odds Saturday night when freshman Jordan Gray took a screen pass 14 yards for a touchdown with 1:37 remaining to give them a heart-stopping 31-30 victory over Central Catholic at J. Birney Crum Stadium.

The win improved the Blue Eagles to 5-0 overall and 4-0 in the Lehigh Valley Conference. Central Catholic, the defending PIAA Class AAA champion, fell to a surprising 2-3 and 2-2.

Nazareth also has pulled out last-minute victories over LVC contenders Easton and Liberty.

"It's outstanding the way these kids persevere," coach Rob Melosky said inside an jubilant Nazareth locker room. "It's just a great group of kids to coach."

Trailing 30-24, Nazareth took over on Central's 14 with 1:44 left following a dramatic 45-yard punt return by Adam Bridgeforth. On first down, quarterback Dan Harding hit Gray in the flat. Gray found an opening along the left sideline and raced into the end zone.

Jack Portnoy's extra point gave the Blue Eagles the lead.

"First of all, I want to give thanks to God," said Gray, who also rushed for 117 yards and a touchdown. "I was just happy to help the team win because I knew how big this game was for everybody."

Bridgeforth fielded the punt at his 41 and nearly took it the distance before he was stopped at the 14.

"I knew they'd probably punt it to me because they were punting it to me all day," Bridgeforth said. "I heard my assistant coach, Shawn Martell, yell that I had space so I just took off. I got great blocking and execution from everybody."

With the clock down to 13 seconds and the Vikings out of timeouts, coach Harold Fairclough sent the field goal team onto the field. Tim DiGiacomo's 33-yard attempt hooked wide left, setting off a joyous celebration on the Nazareth sideline.

"It's kind of ironic, but last season we lost to them on a missed field goal and this year they missed a field goal," Melosky said.

"I was really nervous," Gray said. "I thought I was going to pass out. (After the miss) I just came up and hugged my coach. My mind is blank."

Nazareth took over on its 39 late in the second quarter following Aaron Bradley's blocked punt. On the next play, Bridgeforth sprinted behind the Vikings' secondary and caught a 61-yard touchdown pass from Harding, giving the Blue Eagles a 10-2 lead.

"We needed to make a play and when I saw the coverage they were in I figured I'd be open," Bridgeforth said. "We just had to execute."

Nazareth extended its lead to 24-8 on Harding's 2-yard TD run in the third quarter before Central rallied to take a short-lived 30-24 lead.

"There were two quality teams out there," Melosky said. "Central made plays, but we made the plays when it counted most."

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/10/nazareth_pulls_off_another_lat.html

No comments: