Friday, October 21, 2011

How can you mend a broken heart? By diving into high school football, Week No. 8

FROM KEITH GROLLER

I know I won't get an ounce of sympathy from Phillies fans, nor would I want it. But yours truly is TOOF.

Ticked Off On Friday.

Still angry about the ninth inning of Game 2 of the World Series Thursday night.

While the heart is not totally broken, it's definitely aching after watching about the 50th blown save opportunity the Cardinals have had this season.

It started on Opening Day and now it continues into October.

And this one might have been the killer in terms of this World Series. My wife, daughter and cat all went into hiding as that ninth inning unfolded. If I had a brick I might have thrown it at the TV.

The Cardinals will be very fortunate to win one game in Texas and bring it back to St. Louis for a Game 6.

Ah well, there's nothing like some good old high school football to soothe the soul and I plan to be at Bethlehem Area School District Stadium tonight for what should be a good one between Easton and Freedom.

I was supposed to see Easton last week, but that surprising postponement on Friday caused a change of plan. It was nice to see the folks in Northampton for the first time this season. Always enjoy my time at Al Erdosy Field, especially when I get a Chick-Fil-A sandwich served in the pressbox.

First, here's my personal top 10:

1. Nazareth; 2. Whitehall; 3. Freedom; 4. Easton; 5. Liberty; 6. Parkland; 7. Pen Argyl; 8. Northern Lehigh; 9. Central Catholic; 10. Bangor.

In that LVC, those top six seem interchangeable. Anybody could beat anybody on a given night and in fact, I am finally going against Nazareth for the first time all season and believe Parkland will hand the Blue Eagles their first loss.

I probably shouldn't do that. Picking Nazareth in all tough games has been very good to me, but I just think it might be time that Melosky's magic, especially in the fourth quarter, may run out. That one should be a dandy.

More importantly for the Blue Eagles, they still have The Weave behind them 100 percent. He's still perfect with his picks this season. Weave is going with Nazareth 35-21.

I was 18-4 last week, bringing my season totals up 120-34 (77.9 success rate).

Here we go:

FRIDAY NIGHT

Emmaus 42, Allen 7 -- Even if the game is lopsided, Carl Smartschan will keep it entertaining on the P.A. system.

CCHS 63, Dieruff 0 -- Still believe the Vikings will make districts, and if they do, they will still play into December.

Freedom 28, Easton 20 -- In the past, Freedom would fold after suffering a tough loss, but this is a new era of Patriots football.

Parkland 41, Nazareth 34 -- I am probably crazy for going away from the Blue Eagles because they have absolutely been amazing this year with all of their comebacks. But I think Parkland has finally figured out its offense and that's basically to make sure Rob Dvoracek gets the ball early and often.

Whitehall 34, Northampton 13 -- Nice to re-live some memories of that Whitehall-El Toro game and that era of Zephyrs football. Joe Gerencser was something else. And that game with El Toro was a classic. It is a nice gesture on the part of the school to recognize that very tough1986 team, although I am sure they still don't know how they lost to Allen by 20 that year, and neither do I.

Northern Lehigh 28, Bangor 21 -- Will it be another sad ride home from the Slate Belt for the Bulldogs? I just believe the Bulldogs are a little more battle-tested than the Slaters and will find a way.

Catasauqua 20, Palmerton 14 -- Heard there's a controversy in the Catty community about some old trophies and memorabilia that were about to discarded, going back to the Larry Miller era. If there's a garage sale going on up that way, let me know. I'll bring my checkbook. But not my wife. She's never met a garage sale she didn't like.

Notre Dame 20, Palisades 7 -- A win streak for the Crusaders. Will the other Notre Dame, the one in South Bend, win, this weekend? Sadly, as a USC fan, I have to admit it's going to be ugly for the Trojans, who don't play much defense.

Pen Argyl 28, Northwestern 14 -- I bet the hot chocolate will be flowing in New Tripoli tonight. Dennis Nemes, how's retirement treating you?

Southern Lehigh 33, Saucon Valley 13 -- The Spartans are definite District 11 material. Hope some people are buying Mike Feifel's outstanding Colonial League book.

Stroudsburg 20, ES North 13 -- Have a feeling both of these teams will wind up in districts, or the 4A subregional in Stroudsburg's case.

Lehighton 14, PM West 7 -- The Indians might be the best 2-5 team in the state considering all five of their losses have been by seven or less.

Pleasant Valley 35, ES South 20 -- As they did a year ago, the Bears are making a second-half charge.

Shenandoah Valley 27, Marian Catholic 23 -- Never been to Shenandoah Valley, but it sounds like a place I'd like to visit for a weekend.

Pius X 56, Susquenita 27 -- In Phil, I trust.

Tamaqua 21, Panther Valley 7 -- Hope they get this one in ok. This fall there seems to be have been a postponement per week for the Panthers.

SATURDAY

Wilson 20, Salisbury 14 -- Who would have ever thought the Warriors would be the last team in the Colonial League looking for tis first win?

Liberty 42, Becahi 13 -- I will be rooting for former Golden Hawk standout Eric Newell in his fight tonight at the Rodeway Inn. But his alma mater doesn't even have a puncher's chance in this one.

Dallas 33, Pocono Mountain East 20 -- This one will not be a good omen for me since a certain baseball team from the Dallas-area is likely to pummel a team with a nickname of Cardinals this weekend in something called The Fall Classic.

Schuylkill Haven 27, Jim Thorpe 7-- Since Lehigh is off this weekend, wonder if Zach Barket, having a nice year for the No. 7 ranked Mountain Hawks, will get back to see his alma mater play.

There you go. 20 reasons for you to have great week No. 8!

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2011/10/how-can-you-mend-a-broken-heart-by-diving-into-high-school-football-week-no-8.html

No comments: