Friday, October 01, 2010

Week 5 high school football picks: Out of the hot tub and back into the frying pan

FROM KEITH GROLLER

I have covered high school football for this newspaper in five different decades now. Geez, that makes me feel old.

If you've been following along, you know by now that the first story I ever did for this paper was Sheila O'Donnell winning the District 11 girls tennis title in September of 1979. We had a big 30th anniversary story last September that was turned into an advertising campaign. Thankfully, Sheila's picture was used in that campaign rather than mine.

Anyway, Sheila is still very much on the scene and following her nephew Brendan Nosovitch as he quarterbacks the unbeaten Central Catholic Vikings.

But my first high school football game came a few weeks later. It was Allen at P'burg. Dick Sniscak (Rich's father) coached against Bob Stem. Don't remember the score, but remember that P'burg won and I hightailed it back across the bridge and back to the office without ever getting any quotes. I was just an 18-year-old kid myself back in the fall of 1979, a few months out of high school and nervous as hell.

At that point of my career, P'burg seemed as far away as the Meadowlands.

Suffice to say, I've done a lot of games since then, and while the deadline rush never allows you to rest, I enjoy the whole scene of Friday night football.

Last Friday night, I was away from the typical Friday night scene, and the Lehigh Valley. I was in a New Hamsphire hotel and rewarded myself for making the 7-hour, five-state drive by relaxing in a hot tub. I was in there around 11 o'clock just about the time I'd be flailing away on a story.

I kind of enjoyed that feeling, too, with a very different kind of sweat pouring down my face.

Tonight, however, I am back at work and Steve Miller, our LVC beat man, gave me a good one -- Whitehall at Easton. A battle of unbeatens. He's doing CCHS at Nazareth, another good one. But there's always something special about a game at Cottingham Stadium.

Here's hoping this weekend's picks are special. I was 17-7 last week, making me 78-27 on the season (74.3 percent).

Here we go:

LEHIGH VALLEY CONFERENCE

CCHS 42, Nazareth 28 -- My man, the Weave, is going with his Blue Eagles, 32-21. I just don't think the Blue Eagles defense is good enough to slow down the Vikings. But it's an entertaining game to be sure, and if you see the Weave taking tickets, tell him I said hello.

Emmaus 20, Becahi 7 -- Once upon a time, Becahi coming to the borough was bad news for the home team. No wonder frequent Groller's Corner contributor "CHEK" can't stand Bob Stem. He used to swat the Green Hornets the way CHEK'S Nittany Lions beat up the Youngstown States on their nonleague schedule. But Stem is in Jersey and Emmaus football is now a source of pride in the community.

Freedom 42, Dieruff 0 -- At least the Huskies scored last week.

Liberty 21, Parkland 14 -- Talk about things changing. For many years this was THE game of the Lehigh Valley Conference season. Tonight, it ranks as only the third best game on the league card.

Northampton 28, Allen 20 -- The Canaries have scored 20 points or more in back-to-back games for the first time since the last two games of the 2005 season. I know it's not much, but when you're dealing with Allentown football you have to take the positives where you can find them.

Easton 21, Whitehall 14 -- Could this be a District 11 4A championship game preview? Wouldn't doubt it. Both teams have shown the ability to win close ones. I just can't go against the Rovers at Cottingham and wonder if a wet, sloppy field could neutralize any edge the Zephs may have with their speedy skill-position players.

COLONIAL LEAGUE

Bangor 33, Wilson 21 -- Scott LaValva is a question mark for the Slaters, but the Warriors may be even more banged up.

Catasauqua 20, Saucon Valley 14 -- The Panthers have to rank as the league's biggest disappointment so far.

Palmerton 34, Palisades 14 -- Thanks to their struggles in boys basketball, this has become my favorite Colonial League rivalry. The distance between these two schools is so vast that I always think they should allow the kids in the traveling party to stay overnight in a hotel. Hopefully they at least give them a nice bus for the three-county trip.

Northwestern 41, Notre Dame 13 -- Can't we arrange a game between Dieruff and the Crusaders?

Northern Lehigh 56, Salisbury 0 -- Wonder how my friend Chuck Sonon, who was on the Falcons' coaching staff last year, is enjoying his time away from the game.

Pen Argyl 21, Southern Lehigh 13 -- Lots of people were amazed with the 42 points the Green Knights scored against Wilson. I was more impressed with them holding the Warriors to just six points.

MOUNTAIN VALLEY CONFERENCE

East Stroudsburg South 27, Stroudsburg 14 -- If you miss this one at the Purple Pit, don't worry, they'll do it again in eight weeks at Stroudsburg.

Pocono Mountain East 34, Lehighton 14 -- Still think fondly of my trip to Lehighton three years ago to cover this matchup. The Cardinals won that one with an offensive showcase and their offense will carry them to a win in this one.

E.S. North 26, Pocono Mountain West 18 -- I have still yet to visit either of these two schools. Maybe this winter I'll get up to West to see Brad Pensyl's star-studded basketball team.

OTHERS

Pleasant Valley 42, Tamaqua 20 -- I may have jinxed Jim Thorpe and Lehighton with my Friday features the past two weeks, but I think the jinx stops here. Jimmy Terwilliger sounds like he means business with the Bears.

Jim Thorpe 19, Shenandoah Valley 14 -- Bet the colors of those mountains around Jim Thorpe are starting to sparkle.

North Schuykill 73, Marian 0 -- If previously scuffling Pius X hit the Colts for 62 points, you can imagine what the Spartans potent offense is going to do.

Schuylkill Haven 35, Panther Valley 7 -- Losing "only" 42-20 to North Schuylkill may have felt like a win for Haven last week.

Hatboro-Horsham 27, Quakertown 21 -- Wonder how the traffic is on Route 309 between these two schools on a typical Friday night. Not enjoyable, that's my guess.

Souderton 33, Pennridge 27 -- Bet Souderton coach Ed Gallagher gets the Central Catholic score from his father Hughie every Friday night.

Phillipsburg 35, Ridge 20 -- This is a rematch of last year's state title game, and you know the deal here, I never pick against Bob Stem.

Pius X 28, Bucktail 14 -- Royals on a roll?

Spring Ford 28, Upper Perk 13 -- I've actually been to Spring-Ford. Nice place. Even better nickname -- Rams. Hey, how about them Rams?! The ones in St. Louis, I mean. Softened up the Redskins for those Eagles. While most of the world will be glued to the Dono-Vick battle this Sunday afternoon, I'm be more interested in Rams-Seahawks.

That's it. Let's hope the rain stops and stars shine on the field.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: