Saturday, May 18, 2013

Catching up with Cuthbert; new Emmaus coach ready to go

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


I stopped by the FASST Brader/Persa Offensive Skills Camp in Bethlehem today and there was a Who's Who of football talent on display.
Recent high school and college stars like Joey Orlando, Jarrod West, Kevin White and Devin Street were on display as were coaches such as Rob Melosky, Mike Donnelly, Bob Kohler and even newly named Emmaus coach Randy Cuthbert. Co-directors Jason Brader and Danny Persa did a fantastic job organizing everything. It seemed like a big success.
I got to chat briefly with Cuthbert, who was introduced as Emmaus' new coach on Tuesday.
"I met the kids last week and we're trying to fill out the coaching staff and get everything organized," Cuthbert said. "I think it's a great setup with a lot of potential. It's going to be a different type of summer. Normally, we'd be doing a lot of 7-on-7s with other teams, but for us it's going to be a lot of installation and intrasquad stuff. We're just going to try to get caught up."
I asked Cuthbert about his impressions of the Lehigh Valley Conference.
"I think it's great football and the communities are really into it, even more so than down in the Suburban One area," he said. "It's a great atmosphere, a great league.I hear it's going to be expanding, which is probably a good thing. It's exciting."
Cuthbert said his predecessor Joe Bottiglieri did a good job "in moving Emmaus forward and bringing them up to the level of other top teams.It's a great support structure, a great school. It's a great opportunity. I'm thrilled to be there."
Cuthbert has known Brader and his FASST Performance facility for years.
"This is a great idea and a great turnout for the first year," Cuthbert said. "We've got a bunch of Emmaus kids here."
As for why he left Pennridge for Emmaus, Cuthbert said: "Two years ago, I moved to Coopersburg, which is very close to Emmaus. And I said then that if Emmaus ever had an opening, I'd be interested. It's a great program and they do everything first class. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity."
  .

No comments: