Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bednarik takes a beating, but still engineers game-winning drive for Steelhawks

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=10151976#editor/src=sidebar

FROM KEITH GROLLER


For the first time in what has largely been a triumphant return to organized football, Adam Bednarik might have thought "What the heck am I doing out here?" at various points on Saturday night.
The former Bethlehem Catholic and West Virginia standout, who had been away from the game for four years, threw for 238 yards and four touchdowns in what turned out to be an exciting 49-47 win by the Lehigh Valley Steelhawks at Stabler Arena.
But he also took a major pounding from the Albany Panthers.
"As far as how my body feels, this might be the worst I've felt," Bednarik said while signing autographs after the game. "Between the injury with my ankle and some fluid in my knee, I was already hurting. And then I got pile-drived into the turf at one point and that hurt my tailbone pretty bad. Every time I'd take a step, I'd get a shooting pain up my right spot. And I am sure it's going to feel worse [Sunday] morning."
Bednarik was sacked four times and hit the deck at least four more times. Albany never missed a chance to give him a shot.
The Panthers were hit with 11 penalties for 79 yards and several were for unsportsmanlike conduct and at least one for roughing-the-passer. There was even an ejection of one Albany and one Lehigh Valley player. It was that kind of night.
Yet, despite the punishment he took, Bednarik was still standing at the end and leading his team down the field with some key throws in the final seconds to set up Evan Selman's game-winning field from 31 yards out with one second left.
"I was hurtin', but I just tried to block it out and do everything I could to make sure we came away with a win," Bednarik said. "I have three great receivers who make my job so much easier. Even if I don't necessarily put the ball where I want it, they're still going to make plays for me. They've been great all season long and I am glad they're on my side."
Even in pain, Bednarik was in better shape at night's end than his backup Hunter Wanket. Wanket, who threw for one TD, was walking around in crutches.
Bednarik, who missed last weeks's game at Knoxville due to a previous commitment, completed 24 of 37 passes. Tyrone Collins and Tom Gilson combined for 18 catches for 165 yards and four TDs. Torieal Gibson chipped in six catches for 63 yards and another score.
The Steelhawks defense, directed by former Central Catholic and Lehigh University standout Matt Cohen, got two interceptions from former Villanova player Clarence Curry.
But it still came down to Selman, who missed a field goal attempt and two PAT kicks in the first half.
"I had a rough first half, but I got in the zone, got some words of encouragement and made it when it counted," said Selman, a product of Winston Salem State. "I never had a game-winning field goal in college, but in semi-pro football I had three game-winners playing for the Carolina Renegades."
The 27-year-old Selman was talking to himself before he made the game-winning kick.
"I just told myself before I kicked that I do this all the time and that I just needed to do what I always do," he said. "If I had missed it, it would have been a tough night."
Selman is used to the pressure. He spent six years in the military.
"I was in the National Guard and spent some time in Iraq and Kuwait," he said.
Asked about being accustomed to tense moments, he said: "Actually this is worst than being over there."
He was laughing when he said it.
The win was Lehigh Valley's third straight and put the Steelhawks back over .500 at 5-4 with three games to play including the final home game of the season on Saturday against Knoxville.
The top four teams in the seven-team league qualify for the playoffs and the Steelhawks are currently in sole possession of third place.
"We knew this was going to be a tough game and that it would come down to the wire," coach Chris Thompson said. "We've had a lot close games and thankfully we were on the winning end of a close one tonight. We feel good about this one, but there's a lot of football left to be played."
Albany Panthers --14 - 13 - 7 - 13 -- 47
LV Steelhawks   -- 7 - 19 - 10 - 13 - 49
SCORING SUMMARY
FIRST QUARTER
ALB -- Trae Ivory 1 run (Meredith Trout kick), 14:13
LVS -- Tyrone Collins 7 pass from Adam Bednarik (Evan Selman kick), 10:35
ALB -- Antwone Savage 27 pass fom Cecil Lester (Trout kick), 9:05
SECOND QUARTER
LVS -- Zak Tupper 1 run (Selman kick), 13:35
ALB -- Antwonis Cutts 10 pass from Cecil Lester (Trout kick), 11:03
LVS -- Torieal Gibson 21 pass from Bednarik (kick failed), 8:11
ALB -- Johnny Lester 9 pass from Cecil Lester (Trout kick), 2:40
LVS -- Tom Gilson 9 pass from Bednarik (Selman kick), 0:45
THIRD QUARTER
LVS -- Selman 34 FG, 8:03
LVS -- Tyrone Collins 2 pass from Bednarik (Selman kick), 2:35
ALB -- Johnny Lester 52 kickoff return (Meredith kick)
FORTH QUARTER
LVS -- Tom Gilson 3 pass from Hunter Wanket (Selman kick), 11:20
ALB -- Aarond Wheeler 9 pass from Cecil Lester (Trout kick), 8:55
LVS -- Selman 16 FG, 3:59
ALB -- Trae Ivory 3 run, (pass failed), 1:40
LVS -- Selman 31 FG, (0:01)

No comments: