Monday, December 17, 2012

Thrice Jilted by the NFL

http://sportsmediajournal.com/ Those of you who follow SMJ know that I am not prone to being overly critical. Most of what we do here is pass along information from the organizations that make-up the sports media industry. Two years ago I thought I would try to secure a press credential for the Super Bowl. My intent was to provide insight as to how the media covers America’s largest sporting event. I wasn’t looking for a pass to the game, just access to the media center, radio row, and Tuesday’s media day. My plan was to be back at home for kick-off. My request was denied. I tried again last year. Once again I was denied. After putting more effort into SMJ this year, I thought that perhaps my chances would be batter at securing a media credential for Super Bowl. Wrong. Three times denied by the NFL. Each year I receive a standard rejection e-mail that includes the following: Media accreditation decisions are based on several factors. Among the most important is the audience reached by the applying organization. Significant emphasis is also placed upon the amount of on-site coverage an organization provides an NFL club on a regular basis. There is a large media contingent that cover NFL teams on-site each week throughout the season – games, practices and media availabilities – in addition to devoting significant resources throughout the year at other events, including the NFL Draft, training camps, and community appearances. Even for media that fall into this category, we are unable to accommodate all the requests we receive. In addition, only organizations whose primary purpose is providing original editorial content qualify for consideration for media accreditation.

No comments: