Thursday, December 08, 2011

Homemade Holidays: Use your hands to create this handmade wreath

FROM THE EXPRESS TIMES

My two boys love to draw and color. The scene right now on my dining room table -- construction paper scattered everywhere, a plethora of coloring books, more crayons, markers and colored pencils than they can count, and a small space at the end of the table reserved for my laptop, so I can supervise craft time while working.

Not only do my kids love to make artwork, but they love to create and give those creations to other people -- specifically family. They are 3- and 5-years-old this holiday season, so for this year’s Express-Times Homemade Holiday series, I thought I would hand the gift-making task over to them. My oldest helped make the gift for last year’s series (a handmade ornament) with moderate success, so I figured they would have better luck working together.

The craft I chose for them was simple -- a handmade wreath using what else for a pattern, but their own hands. They were very excited about participating, and made quite a mess with the glitter paper, but they had fun and made a great looking wreath that I am proud to hang in my home. My part in making the craft was mostly assembling the hand cutouts. Based on your child’s scissor skills, you might be tasked with cutting them out as well.

You will need:

Felt, construction paper, foam sheets or fabric of your choice (Note: I used 2 12-inch pieces of green glitter paper and 2 11x17 green foam sheets)
Glue or tape
1 12-inch foil pizza pan (½- inch deep)
Ribbon to make a bow or a pre-made bow
Directions:

Trace your child’s hand as many times as you can fit on the paper, fabric or foam you have selected; cut them out.
Take the foil pan and cut out an opening in the middle to make the center of your wreath.
Arrange the hand cutouts around the edges of the foil pan; tape or glue them in place once you like the way they are arranged.
Attach your bow to the bottom of the wreath with tape or craft wire.
If you don’t have a wreath hanger, attach a loop of ribbon to the back of the wreath with tape or glue, to hang the wreath.
This wreath design can be adapted for any holiday and the colors and decorations can be changed based on how creative you and your children want to get.

Cost to make: under $5.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/entertainment-general/index.ssf/2011/12/homemade_holidays_use_your_han.html

No comments: