Friday, September 09, 2011

Week 2 High School picks: Stop at Kelly's Irish Pub may change my luck

FROM KEITH GROLLER

It has been one of the weirdest three-week periods I can remember with an earthquake, hurricane, massive flooding and gloomy skies almost every day.

Everybody's been saying: "What's going on? Is this the end?"

In these turbulent times, we need things we can count on, like the Packers offense being unstoppable, the Phillies rolling to another NL East title, people griping about everything and me making bad predictions.

Usually, my picks on the NFL are reliably bad, and the high school selections are fairly decent.

But I had a rough first week of this scholastic season, going only 17-8, completely subpar for someone who strives to get 90 percent correct.

Some of it was just bad luck -- like how do I know Lehighton's star quarterback hurt his elbow late in the week and would be out for several games?

Some of it was a bad gamble -- I took a shot in the dark on Southern Lehigh beating Northern Lehigh and it turns out I had no shot whatsoever because I underrated the Bulldogs badly.

Some of it was bad advice -- as in continually listening to people telling me that this was going to be a down year for Easton.

Hopefully, a little visit to a neat little place called Kelly's Irish Pub in Lansford has changed my fortunes. Yes, I was in Lansford on Thursday -- for the first time in my life. For those who don't know where Lansford is, you just go up to Lehighton and just keep on going, through Jim Thorpe and Nesquehoning.

I was there for a press conference for next week's Lehighton-Panther Valley game. The annual Thursday night game will now be played in honor of the Bo Tkach Memorial Foundation.

That event was nice enough, but what stood out was the kindness of the people in Kelly's.

The owner invited me to stay after the press conference and do my story right in the restaurant.

Usually, requests to work in restaurants are met with stern responses such as "Well, how long are you going to be?" Or, "Ok, you can stay but you better get something off the menu." Or, "You can use that small table near the bathroom."

But the people at Kelly's, who I had never met before --I wish I would have gotten their names -- couldn't have been nicer.

"Please stay as long as you'd like."

"Sit wherever you want?"

"Can I freshen your drink, sir?" -- It was a soda, not a beer by the way.

I told the guy that I am not used to such kindness back in the Valley, and he said: "People just don't get it anymore. We need to work together, help each other, not the other way around."

Look, allowing me to in that restaurant to file my story didn't change the world. But it impressed me and was a reminder that there are still a lot of nice people in this world, eager to help and please.

I was asking around about next week's game, saying "I would like to cover it, but it's a long ride back from Panther Valley to Allentown."

The owner of Kelly's piped in: "Hey, the stadium's just up the road. Why don't you come back here?"

I said: "Yeah, but I would need to work in here until at least 11."

He replied: "Well, we're open until 2."

What an offer. If I do cover the game next week and stop in afterward, you know I just won't do my story in that pub. I will have to have one for the road once my work is done. We'll see.

The address for Kelly's is 634-636 E. Patterson St., Lansford. The phone number is 570-645-2000. Their motto: "We've got your appetite covered."

Maybe the luck of the Irish will rub off on this week's picks:

FRIDAY NIGHT

Central Catholic 49, Freedom 27 -- Vikings bounce back.

Nazareth 28, Easton 21 -- If this game was in the mud and mess at Cottingham, the edge would go to the Red Rovers. The Weave is going with his Blue Eagles 33-30 in overtime, by the way.

Liberty 33, Northampton 14 -- Hurricanes showed a lot of character with comeback at Glen Mills.

Parkland 56, Dieruff 6 -- Trojans play home opener next week against Emmaus.

Whitehall 27, Emmaus 20 -- Swampy field at Emmaus could neutralize some of Zephyrs speed.

Bethlehem Catholic 26, Allen 19 -- This is the one and only game the Golden Hawks will play at Notre Dame. The rest of Becahi's home games will be at BASD as usual. AD Mike Grasso set the record straight this week.

Bangor 37, Palisades 15 -- In Scags we trust.

Northwestern 21, Saucon Valley 14 -- After that green blur they saw at Pen Argyl last week, the game should slow down considerably this week for the Panthers.

Catasauqua 26, Notre Dame 13 -- Roughies' convincing win over Wilson was one of the biggest surprises of Week 1. By the way, did you know that my friend Bill Fleischman of the Philadelphia Daily News once lived at 440 Bridge Street in Catty as a youngster?

Pen Argyl 49, Salisbury 0 -- One word: Yikes!

Southern Lehigh 27, Palmerton 7 -- A short ride home for Spartans assistant and "History of the Colonial League" author Mike Feifel.

Northern Lehigh 41, Wilson 14 -- Won't overlook the Bulldogs again.

Crestwood 26, PM West 13 -- Disappointing start for a Panthers team that had high hopes.

ES South 20, Delaware Valley 14 -- As long as the Cavaliers stay away from the LVC, they have a shot. Besides, Del Val may have Disney in its head after a trip to Florida last week.

Pleasant Valley 33, Honesdale 7 -- The Bears just need to stay away from Nazareth. Honesdale, which got whacked by Wallenpaupack last week, is just what Jimmy Terwilliger's group needs to regroup.

Schuylkill Haven 27, Marian Catholic 13 -- I dedicate this pick to the great Zach Barket, who is on his way to a big year at Lehigh.

Panther Valley 20, Schuylkill Valley 13 -- Maybe they'll hoist a few in Kelly's if the Panthers win this one.

Strousburg 22, Pottsville 14 -- It's only one game, but the Mounties win over Northampton had to be a big confidence booster.

Lehighton 20, Tamaqua 14 -- Talked to Lehighton coach George Ebbert and he said his kids will be better prepared now to life without Josh Agosto, the quarterback out for several weeks with a bad elbow.

Wallenpaupack 34, ES North 12 -- The kids at Wallenpaupack can do more than hunt and fish.

SATURDAY'S GAMES

Pocono Mt. East 27, Quakertown 21 -- This one was moved to Saturday and to the synthetic turf at Palisades. That fast track could be just what the speedy Cardinals need.

Pius X 40, Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Md.) 7 -- With win over Pottstown, the Royals and that potent offense are already rolling.

Line Mountain 33, Jim Thorpe 14 -- I just passed through Jim Thorpe on Thursday and always think what a nice-looking town it is. So far, this Olympians team hasn't been much to look at however. This game was moved from Friday to Saturday at Panther Valley Stadium.

That's 23 games, and hopefully, 23 winners.

Stay dry everybody.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: