Friday, February 21, 2014

The high school boys basketball player of the week: Liberty's Jaevan Dobbins

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


From Friday's print editions of The Morning Call:
Liberty coach Chad Landis said that every year “you look for kids in your program who are going to make that jump from being a sophomore JV player to a junior varsity player. … and it’s a tough jump to make.”
But the Hurricanes’ Jaevan Dobbins, a 6-foot-2 swingman, has successfully made that jump and has become one of the steadying influences in a Liberty season that has had its share of ups and downs.Jaevan Dobbins
Dobbins (No. 11 at left) scored 17 points in the ‘Canes’ 58-38 District 11 4A preliminary-round win over Whitehall and has scored in double figures in 14 straight games. He will be a factor again in Saturday night’s 4A quarterfinal against Pocono Mountain West.
“You’ll see kids who as juniors are trying to feel their way, but Jaevan went from being strictly a JV guy last year to an honorable mention choice in our league,” Landis said. “That says a lot about his work-ethic, his love of basketball, his commitment to what we’re trying to do around here. He’s very coachable. He has been terrific and I’m as happy for his success as I am for anybody.”
Dobbins still sees himself as just a role player.
“Deshawn Oyeniyi is still our leading scorer and I just try to help where I can,” he said. “I didn’t think I’d be able to contibute as much as I have. I just try to play hard and play my role every day.”
—    Keith Groller

No comments: