Friday, June 03, 2011

Oertner happy to be back in coaching; ready for the challenge at Lehighton

FROM KEITH GROLLER

I didn't get a chance to talk to Rich Oertner on Wednesday night after he was approved by the Lehighton School Board by a 9-0 margin as their new boys varsity basketball coach.

But I did speak with him on Thursday afternoon and the former Northern Lehigh coach was upbeat and thankful of the opportunity to be back in coaching. He appreciated the school board's unanimous support.

"I obviously missed it or I wouldn't have re-applied," he said. "I missed the contact with the kids and the other coaches in the Colonial League last year. I bought a house in Myrtle Beach and spent a lot of time down there on the beach, but I am happy to be back in coaching."

Oertner said he met the Lehighton kids and said they're good kids, just not enough of them.

He told me there are only nine basketball players in grades 10-12 and his first mission is to work the halls and get more kids out for the team.

"The challenge is somewhat similar to what I had when I became coach at Northern Lehigh and that's to bring more kids into the program," Oertner said. "It's a great challenge to coach at Lehighton because you're competing against much larger schools. We have a lot of disadvantages. I look at it as a great challenge just to get us to a competitive level."

He believes it can be done, however.

"My expectations are always the same and that's to get the most out of the kids and win as many games as possible," Oertner said. "If you get to a competitive level, eventually, you're going to win games. Lehighton has had success in the past with some outstanding teams and players. You just have to start by building some enthusiasm and instilling some confidence in the kids."

He said he's still piecing together his coaching staff and summer plans.

Lehighton will be in both of the summer tournaments at Cedar Beach next year.

As for Northern Lehigh and his controversial ouster last year, he had little comment, saying only: "I will continue to take the high road. I will always cherish the time I spent there and the support that the parents gave me. I continue to wish the Northern Lehigh players and its coaches all the best."

Northern Lehigh and Lehighton are scheduled to play one another in the first round of the Slatington Rotary Christmas Tournament.

Also at the school board meeting on Wednesday night, Lehighton hired a new athletic director.

It is Kyle Spotts, a former quarterback at Kutztown University who had a masters degree in sports management. He replaces Shawn Hindy, who was removed from the position. Jim Corpora will serve as the interim AD until Spotts takes over on June 13.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: