Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Colonial League games were memorable; let's see if LVC can deliver same drama

FROM KEITH GROLLER

I feel like New Year's Day morning after spending New Year's Eve pretending I was 21 again.

The Colonial League semis were draining on Tuesday night at Southern Lehigh, even for reporters. I know Gary Laubach and John Leone, who did the RCN4 broadcast from the same press table as me, felt the same way.

Great games in terms of excitement; not always pretty, but exciting.

During the first game, I had Saucon Valley parents screaming just two rows behind me all night long. And when the game was over and their Panthers had beaten Wilson in overtime, they still had enough voice left to let me know that I was wrong with my prediction.

I did predict a three-point Wilson win, but also said that prediction was contingent on the Warriors making their foul shots. They didn't, going 7-for-16.

Wilson coach Bob Frankenfield was as disappointed as I've ever seen him after the game.

He knows his team had the game in hand with a four-point lead and the ball in the fourth quarter, and couldn't hold on to either the ball or the lead.

But no coach I've ever covered was as devastated as was Bangor's Bron Holland after his team's overtime loss.

That's because the Slaters were favored to win the Colonial League title all along and that was their No. 1 goal.

They know it's going to be extremely difficult, if not nearly impossible, for them to win the District 11 4A championship considering the loaded field this year with Allen, Easton, Liberty, Emmaus, the two Pocono teams.

So, all energy was put toward Bangor -- with a senior group that has been together for four years -- winning the Colonial League title for the first time since 1988 when Holland was a player. It's all they have talked about since November, if not much earlier.

Salisbury, playing without two key players, especially leading scorer and rebounder Mike Schantz, was a huge underdog.

But the Falcons proved again why high school sports -- especially high school basketball -- can be so much fun and unpredictable. They played a great first quarter and then refused to fold after Bangor made a big charge to tie the game at the end of the third quarter.

They showed even more resiliency after Matt Carey's long 3-pointer tied the game at the regulation buzzer.

Just a remarkable performance and game.

Yes, I got that one wrong, too. But I don't think you could find anyone not associated with Salisbury who thought the Falcons would win. I had plenty of company in thinking Bangor would win and win handily.

While those two take the next two nights off to gear up for what should be a very competitive Colonial League title game on Friday, we turn our attention to the LVC tonight.

I expect a defensive-oriented game, a glorified chess match, between Liberty and Easton.

I expect a lot of offense with Allen and Nazareth.

Andy "Weave" Weaver, Mr. Nazareth, is predicting the Blue Eagles 60-59 in overtime. I don't know if he'll be right, but that sure sounds exciting.

I'm on the record saying Allen and Easton will win close ones.

Let's just hope we have a great atmosphere and two competitive, exciting games.

The LVC games will be hard pressed to match what the Colonial League delivered.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: