Thursday, January 27, 2011

NASD to build "spiteful" fence around LNES

FROM ROSS NUNAMAKER

According to the article in the Morning Call, NASD is leaving behind a "goodbye gift" for the residents who fought the installation of the three acre Commercial solar array on Residential zoned property in Lower Nazareth.

This move by the board can only be described as spiteful. This is somewhat similar to the neighborhood kid who doesn't get his way so he takes his ball and goes home.

Back in early 2008, I was at a NASD board meeting when a friend of mine asked about the possibility of erecting a fence around the Shafer playground. His concern was that the playground was relatively open and given the number of sexual predators (as registered by Megan's Law and easily determined by anyone with a computer) near Shafer, he was concerned for the children's safety. The boards response to that request?....

Not necessary. Too expensive.

Yet now, the board is more than willing to spend the money (estimated by some to be approximately $30-40,000) to erect a fence just to "spite" the neighbors who got the school and township to realize that zoning laws matter. That is, you cannot construct a commercial enterprise in a residential zoned area.

The school district had NO case and no legal standing to build a commercial solar array on residential property. Let me give you a simple example that I think will help those who didn't understand this situation:

I like hamburgers. I have a large property with property behind my house (next to my neighbors). What if I decide I want to lease my "extra" property to Five Guys so they can build a restaurant there and in return, they'll give me a break on the price of hamburgers? You think that would fly with the zoning board?

If NASD goes through with building this fence, I think they need to consider fences around Shafer and Bushkill too...

No comments: