Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Simock has resigned as Whitehall baseball coach; doesn't rule out a return to Northampton

FROM KEITH GROLLER

Had a chance to talk with Andy Simock this morning who confirmed his resignation as Whitehall High's baseball coach even before the school sent out a release.

It's a significant departure when you consider Simock coached the Zephyrs to three District 11 championships in 2004, 2005 and 2008 and had an outstanding overall record of 117-89.

His team went 11-11 last season.

He had spent 15 years at Whitehall overall, the last nine as head coach.

"Sometimes you get to a point where you accomplished as much as you can accomplish at one place," he said. "I am real proud of the three district titles and definitely enjoyed my time with the Whitehall program. But it gets to a point where other things take priority."

And that priority includes his four kids who range in age from 12 to 2 1/2.

"I reached the point in my career where my famiy is taking up more of my thoughts and time," he said.

He has been rumored to be interested in the vacant Northampton job and said, "I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't thought about it or talked it over with my family. That is my alma mater and a special school to me. I will never say never when it comes to that, but right now I am thinking about my time off and being a dad."

Simock, a 38-year-old 1990 Northampton High graduate who continued his baseball career at Penn State, said he is not leaving the Whitehall program with the cupboard bare.

"The tank is not empty here at all," he said. "The JV team had 14 wins last season and there's a nice freshman group coming up to join with a solid core of sophomores and juniors. Whoever gets the job is going to be pleased with the talent in place."

Simock said he was proud to have played a role in restoring Whitehall's great baseball tradition.

"We -- and I always use the world 'we' because Mike Saccani was a big, big part of this as well -- got the numbers back up and put Whitehall baseball back on the map," he said. "We had a very nice run."

Simock had nothing but positive things to say about athletic director Bob Hartman and the Whitehall administration.

He will remain a 7th grade social studies teacher in the district.

Hartman, in his release, said: "Coach Simock has demonstrated the ability to lead a team and get them to play their best at crunch time, in playoff situations. His baseball mind is outstanding, and it is a trait that we will miss at Whitehall. Over the past 10 years, Andy has helped to restore a proud program with his passion for the game. We truly appreciate his efforts in leading Whitehall baseball.”

Hartman added that Whitehall is accepting letters of interest and resumes from prospective candidates. Candidates can contact him at 610-437-5081, ext. 1816.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: