Friday, February 03, 2012

Nazareth Area High School swim team splits with Central Catholic

FROM THE EXPRESS TIMES

It was a bittersweet feeling for Maddie Blair.

The Nazareth Area High School freshman swam her fastest 100 freestyle time by more than a second on Thursday night at the Nazareth Middle School natatorium but finished second to Sydney Stinner of Central Catholic.

However, the Blue Eagles girls defeated the Vikings 107-78 while the Central Catholic boys topped Nazareth 105-79.

"It felt really good to swim that time," Blair said. "It was over a second better than my best time. Even though I lost, I was happy the competition was there to push me.

"I felt like I was letting my team down by not winning. Though there is always next time to win, but there are only a few times to do your best time."

Going into the meet, Blair's fastest time in the 100 freestyle was 54.9 seconds. Stinner won Thursday in 53.34 with Blair touching right behind with a school record time of 53.4. The old record was 54.87.

"Maddie is a great kid," Nazareth coach Julie Brezinsky said. "She will swim anything you want her to swim. I asked her today what she would like to swim. She said, 'depends on the day, I will swim whatever.' She is a competitor and she's just a really great kid all around."

Brezinsky said it was a good meet for the team, especially after what happened Tuesday when the Blue Eagles hosted Easton and the meet was marred by a timing malfunction.

"We are getting close to districts so all the times count," Brezinsky said. "At Easton our time system didn't work so we didn't get to see the times. Tonight, it was just good to see the times."

Grant Durner won the 200 and the 500 freestyle for the Nazareth boys. His winning time in the 200 free was 1:52.02.

"I think we did really well overall and we had some really good times," Durner said. "I was close to my best time (in the 500 freestyle) so I was happy with what I did."

Durner took a commanding lead in the 500 free and never looked back. He finished in 4:59.10. His best time this season is 4:54.53.

Even though Durner won by more than half a pool length in the 500 free, he said there is still room for improvement.

"I have to improve on breathing off the wall in the 500 (freestyle)," Durner said. "You go slower when you breathe. So when you are making your turns off the wall, you don't want to breathe there."

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/nazareth_area_high_school_swim.html

No comments: