Sunday, August 03, 2014

The legends, including the ones from my backyard, were there in Canton on Saturday night

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER

What a day Saturday was.
I have been working at The Morning Call for 35 years, the last 32 as a full-time writer.
Saturday will go down as one of my all-time favorite career days, if not No. 1.
From walking alongside Andre Reed and the Dieruff entourage down the streets of Canton during a parade in the morning to seeing Andre's big moment arrive on that stage at Canton's Fawcett Stadium to a celebration party that lasted into the wee hours of Sunday morning, wow. what a day.
What a full day. What an exhausting day. What a wonderful day.
I brought my son, Chris, along with me to Canton. He played high school football and appreciates this game more than any other.
The weekend has been a thrill for him as well.
He was with me at Andre's party and got wide-eyed as he saw some of the game's greatest players like Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, John Randle and Bruce Smith pass by in the intimate rooms.
He was able to shake hands and even got his picture taken with a few of them.
Me? I was more interested in talking with and hanging out with some of my legends, people who helped shape my life at Dieruff so many years ago; people like Bruce Trotter, Bill Wood, John Molotzak, Larry Lewis, Ted Phillips and Keith Newhard. Dieruff alum Gene Legath, who I've known for years as a local coach (he actually taught Chris at Emmaus) was also there.
They were all there, basking in the glory of one of the best days in Lehigh Valley, Allentown and yes, Dieruff High School history.

No comments: