Thursday, July 03, 2014

Bethlehem Catholic's Lonardo commits to Lafayette

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER

Bethlehem Catholic defensive end Dante Lonardo has verbally committed to continue his football career at Lafayette College.
The rising senior is listed at 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds. He chose Lafayette over Army, Cornell, Temple, and Villanova. He is expected to play tight end as well as defensive end for coach Joe Henrich this fall, but on defense only in college.
"It was nice to get this decision out of the way early because I can focus more on my team right now," Lonardo said. "We have high aspirations for the coming season.
Lonardo, who also punted for the District 11 3A champion Golden Hawks last season, said he visited several places all over the northeast throughout the spring. He visited schools in the Ivy League, the Patriot League, the ACC and Big Ten.
The deciding factor?
"The family atmosphere at Lafayette was a little stronger than anywhere else," he said. "I just really felt comfortable there. I sat down with my parents and coaches and decided on Lafayette."
Lonardo said that the proximity of Lafayette to his Allentown home (he lives on the Allentown/Bethlehem border) wasn't that big of a factor.
"It will be kind of nice to be that close to home ... 30 or 40 minutes away depending on traffic," he said. "But at the end of the day, it didn't really have an impact on my decision. My mother would like me to be right down the block, so she's pretty excited about Lafayette."
Lonardo has been told he could play defensive end, outside linebacker or tackle for the Leopards.
"It depends on my development and how I grow and add weight," he said. "And my position will factor into how soon I'll get playing time based on the need they have at different positions."
Before he arrives on College Hill, however, Lonardo has his focus on what happens this fall with the Golden Hawks.
"We went from 1-9 in 2012 to winning the district championship last year," Lonardo said. "I am beyond thrilled about the coming season and really anxious to play football again. We have a significant number of starters coming back on both sides of the ball. The majority of our team is coming back.
"We open with Liberty and that's going to be a great game. It has been pretty intense with them the last couple of years."
Lonardo's brother, Gabriel, will be a sophomore at Becahi this year but does not play football.
His uncle, Tom, played for Central Catholic and Moravian College back in the 1980s. Tom Lonardo is now an attorney.

No comments: