Monday, July 28, 2014

In great company on the Dieruff Hall of Fame wall

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER

Found out recently that my Hall of Fame plaque has been put up on the wall at Dieruff High School and I am in good company.
Turns out my plaque is right underneath Andre Reed's. Reed, you might have heard, is going into another Hall of Fame this weekend. Me and Reed
There you have perhaps the most famous Dieruff alum ever above someone whose athletic contribution to the school was a career record of 15-45 in tennis.
Ah well. Being inducted into my alma mater's Hall of Fame is something that will forever be very special to me, and certainly that night, May 21, is one I will never forget.
Never expected it. And I definitely did not expect the standing ovation when I was introduced.
Biggest surprise? Even my own family got up and applauded. They know all too well I am not exactly a Hall of Famer at home.
I owe a big thank you to Paulette Kish (seen with me below) who went to bat for me on this honor. I know there were a lot of people who never thought I belonged, and they may be right. But Paulette thought differently and for that, I will forever be grateful. To be one of just 69 Hall of Famers in Dieruff's proud 55-year history. Wow. Quite humbling.
Talk about being in great company and talk about a big weekend ahead in Canton.
We're working on some feature stories, previewing what should be one of the biggest weekends in Lehigh Valley sports history.
It's certainly one of the biggest weeks in Dieruff High School and Allentown history.
I don't know if my friends below are going to Canton, but I have a feeling that these members of the Kiska family will be there in spirit.
Having the only true live mascots in the area is a source of pride for Dieruff graduates.
After all, you can't pet a Canary, can you? July 28, 2014 download 003
By the way, a Andre Reed: A Football Life premieres on the NFL Network Thursday night at 10 p.m. It should offer quite a few insights on how someome who grew up in some rough Allentown neighborhoods has made it into the Hall of Fame of America's most popular sport.

No comments: