Monday, August 26, 2013

Rex Ryan opens his press conference with high praise for Ryan Spadola

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


Rex Ryan's press conference today was much anticipated coming on the heels of the Mark Sanchez injury controversy on Saturday night at MetLife Stadium.
The New York Jets coach began the media session showing video and praising the play of rookie free-agent wide receiver Ryan Spadola, the Lehigh University product.
Lost in all of the chatter surrounding Sanchez's injury and why he was on the field with the second and third-string offensive line against the Giants, was the play of Spadola, who had his biggest night as a pro.
Spadola caught three passes for 110 yards against the Giants, including a 70-yarder from Matt Simms that set up the game-winning field goal in overtime.
He also hauled in his first pro touchdown reception, a 22-yarder that gave the Jets a 21-18 late in regulation.
"We’re going to start the press conference like I have the last two weeks, going over some real positives that I’m seeing on tape and a couple individuals this time," Ryan said. "We’re going to talk about Ryan Spadola, Spicoli if you will."
And then looking at the video, Ryan said:
"He’s up at the top, comes here in motion. You’re going to see this young man, no, he’s been doing a great job. Obviously, this one is just a touchdown we’re going to show you, but he’s had production now the last several weeks. Also on the practice field and things, the Green and White scrimmage. We’ve seen this kid, all he does is show up and make plays.
"(He’s) also doing a good job on special teams. I've been really happy with the way that this young man’s come in here. The other thing, too, that jumped out at all of us was the kind of shape that he showed up in. Obviously, he was in great shape in the conditioning drills and everything else."
With the release of four wide receivers, including veteran Braylon Edwards, it looks like Spadola will make the Jets' 53-man roster.
He has seven catches for 169 yards in the Jets' three preseason games.
Later in the press conference, Ryan was asked about why the team released Edwards and he again mentioned the emergence of Spadola.
As for Spadola, the Jets also offered some quotes from him.
"It is probably the most important week of my life, I would have to say that," he said when asked about what the next few days mean to him. "Everything over the next four days is going to come down to my dreams coming true or not. I’m really just trying to cherish every single day, mostly get better every single day. I want to become the best football player I can over the next few days. If I just do that, focus on what I can control, I think everything else will just fall into place."
He put also put things in perspective, saying: "I think, obviously, this is basically a job interview. Everyone is here competing for a job. (Coach) Rex (Ryan) always preaches about competition. We’re all here to better each other. I think that comes through when everyone is working hard, everyone is giving 110 percent. At the end of the day everything kind of shuffles out. You really can’t dwell on that. You got to really focus on what is your assignment is and try to do your part as best way you possibly can."
Spadola has become something of a media favorite, especially with some of the guys from New Jersey, his home state.
Comparisons to former Wayne Chrebet have been made frequently. Spadola also responded to that.
"All throughout social media, all the people that (were) Jets fans growing up, they’re all kind of shooting me that similarity," he said. "I was very fortunate, he actually reached out to me and wished me luck. He gave me tips, going through this whole process because obviously back when he started his career he went through a similar process as I did. Obviously I took all of his tips and I’ve embraced that, I’m just going to continue to work hard. He said never sit back on anything you achieved up to date and continue to work hard and push to better yourself."


No comments: