Monday, November 23, 2009

STACIE MENTE STATEMENT

Stacia Mendte, Larry Mendte’s daughter from his first marriage, defended her step-mother Dawn Stensland in a letter to the Daily News Monday.

Here it is:
RE AJAY Jones’ Nov. 18 letter in response to Regina Medina’s front-page story about Dawn Stensland Mendte:Jones ended her letter with the line “I guess it’s a good thing Dawn Stensland Mendte doesn’t have a daughter. What kind of role model could she possibly be?”

I can answer that. I know for a fact Dawn is a powerful role model for women. How would I know? Dawn is my stepmom, and she has become a very influential and strong woman in my life.

Yes, Dawn stood by her man, my dad. Any woman could divorce and walk away, but it takes a stronger and more powerful woman to forgive. Through the media and legal circus surrounding my dad’s case, she showed poise and class, even as she sat on the anchor desk as Fox29 covered the story. That showed strength, as does her telling her story to the Daily News for other women in similar situations.

And as for Jones’ assertion that the other woman being a “younger version” of Dawn, no, I’m sorry there is no other version of Dawn. Dawn has beauty both inside and out, she has a heart of gold and class. Hmm, maybe for some that will come with age. She has been in my life since I was 12. Those are the most crucial times in any young girl’s life, and I will say that she was a perfect role model and still is.

Dawn is my stepmother, my sister and one of my best friends. Aside from my real mother, I respect and admire Dawn more than any other woman. She was the strength, the heart and the power that kept this family together through a personal and very public ordeal. I thank her for being in my life and showing me the way a strong and moral woman acts.

One should really not place judgment when the whole story has not been told.

Stacia Mendte, Philadelphia

No comments: